You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Some people believe that unpaid community service should be a compulsory part of high school programmes (for example working for a charity, improving the neighborhood or teaching sports to younger children).
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience
Idea Generation for this essay
Why unpaid community serviced should be a compulsory part of high school programmes:
- It offers valuable work experience for the students.
- From the free community services, students of high schools can learn to extend their hands for people who are in need.
- Voluntary works in high school level is an excellent chance for students to socialize and work outside the school and home premises.
- It improves their ability to work and talk in public.
- Gives some valuable experience that could be beneficial for their future study.
- Builds a generation who will have morality and benevolent attitude.
- Sports activities keep them physically and mentally fit.
- The students can use their time for productive purposes instead wasting time.
Why unpaid community serviced should NOT be a compulsory part of high school programmes:
- Students are already overloaded with their studies and labs. Adding unpaid community services would simply add burdens to their life.
- Not all students would participate in charity or voluntary works spontaneously. Thus who would be forced to do it, would lose their interest in doing this short of work in the future.
- More emphasize should be given to improve the academic qualities than forcing them to clean the neighborhoods.
- Since this is unpaid task, it might be less helpful for students who needs to do the part-time jobs.
- Making voluntary works compulsory in high school is not a good idea as there are more important things to do for the high school students.
Co-curricular activities, like volunteer community service, make pupil prepared for the future practically. Normal curricular activity can only help students in their academic theories. But the student who is only experienced with academic curricular may not be able to apply what he or she has learned in practice. Though it is sometimes hard to manage leisure time to volunteer, the boons of voluntary community service are tremendous to individual, individual’s family and individual’s community. In the case, the right pair of time and motivation can help student find friends, reach out to the community and learn new competence and even it can advance the future career. Besides all of these, volunteer community service helps them to form a noble habit from the early age. That is why I think unpaid community service should be integrated into the syllabus at high school level.
First of all, the best part of unpaid community service is that it functions like glue that holds a community together. Volunteering helps the students to keep in touch with the community and make an excellent atmosphere to live. Even conducting a smallest program can make a real difference to the lives of residents of the community. For instance, charity program to those in need is a very good way helping the poorer neighbour. The volunteering is a two-way street: not only is it blessing for the society, it is also worthwhile for the students. They can boost their interpersonal skills, expand network and make new friends. While some students are easy outgoing and others are introvert and have a hard time meeting the new people. Unpaid community service gives the occasion to exercise and improve social skills, since they are communicating frequently to a group of people with common interest. Teaching sports to the younger children is another good example. Children discern everything you do. By returning back to the society, the volunteer sets forth them firsthand how volunteering makes a difference and how good it feels to help the other.
Similarly, the experience of unpaid social service is invaluable advantage for future career. The volunteering provides an outstanding momentum to practice the crucial skills used in workplace, like communicating, teamwork, problem solving, task management, project planning, and so on. One might sense more comfortable expanding one’s web at work once one have honed this skills in a volunteer position first.
In all in all, I believe human beings have certain objective to accomplish. That is to say, human beings are the representative of God on earth and being the representative of God on earth it is man’s role to look after His creature including human being and other creature as well. And unpaid community service seems to perfect to this role. Therefore, it would be appreciating, if ‘free volunteer service to the society’ is incorporated into the syllabus of high school curriculum.