IELTS Writing Task 2 with sample answer.
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Some people think that parents should teach children how to be good members of the society. Others, however believe that school is the place to learn this.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
You should write at least 250 words.
Model Answer :
Preparing children as a good member of society is very important since its future depends on them. Some people contend that it is the parents’ duty to make them more responsible citizen yet others argue that institution can contributes more than parents in this regard. In my opinion, parents and schools should go hand in hand in order to prepare the youngsters as responsible member of society.
Children are born without any knowledge and social skills, and they keenly look for someone to mimic. Which is why, some people believe that the onus is on the parents to teach children how to be a responsible member of community. Empirical evidence shows that children behave in the way their father and mother behave. This means that they learn how to behave by following how their parents behave. For example, a child learns respect for others if he or she is treated respectfully by parents, and in the case, the parents should spur all the family members to treat one another with respects. The parents’ role, in fact, is to lay the blueprints for their children behaviour. Children can be sensible member of society in consequence of the parents’ sensible behaviour towards society.
Alternatively, other people subscribe the belief that school is the right institution where children can get the proper guidance to become a sensible member of the community. They argue that the pupil spends at least eight hours a day at school and it is like another society where children can interact with each other. They claim that teachers or mentors have scientific approach to educate learners how to be a good citizen in terms of nation. In addition, they can also learn from their fellow students. Sometimes, there may have some disputes or quarrels between them. It is when the teachers’ responsibility to teach their student how to act at some social situation properly, like how to cooperate with each other to avoid such unexpected situation.
In conclusion, it is obvious that parents and school are not alternative with each other. They are interconnected in such a way that one can be effective through other.
Idea Generation for this essay:
Why parents should teach children to be good member of the society?
- Parents have greater influence on children and most of the children mimic their parents’ activities. So it would be easier for parents to teach the morality and importance of being good member of the society.
- Children spend up to 5-6 years at home before getting admitted in a school. During that time their way of thinking and behaviours develop at a faster pace. Waiting for school to teach children such morality would be too late.
- Teachers are paid for teaching the academic lessons. So, not all teachers would be interested to do it.
- Parents love their children more than the teachers do. While a children’s welfare is the most important concern to parents, it is kind of professional obligation for the teachers. So teaching such lessons to a child naturally falls in the parents’ responsibility.
- All children love their parents while many children do not like all the teachers. Naturally if a teacher who is disliked by students would not be an ideal person to teach such lesson.
- Parents are more concerned about their children and they spend more time with them. That is why they can teach them so many things and can slowly teach them moralities of life.
- A school or a teacher won’t be with a student for a long while parents stay with their kids for the lifetime.
Why school is the ideal place for children to learn to be good member of the society?
- School has better resources than parents on guiding children how to be ideal members of the society.
- Teachers can judge children neutrally while parents always adore their children and their judgment are often biased.
- Parents often over indulge their kids and instead of doing good, they actually harm their kids.
- Teachers’ speech and command have better authority than the parents’ words, and that is why teachers can better teach morality.
- Discipline, punctuality, patience and sharing could be practically learned from the school environment and that is why a child often can learn the quality of a good citizen from the school environment.