You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Overpopulation of urban areas has led to numerous problems.
Identify one or two serious ones and suggest ways that governments and individuals can tackle these problems.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words.
Sample Answer :
These days, urban population is increasing alarmingly. The large numbers of population have swollen the ranks of the unemployed. Moreover, the highly dense population causes environmental pollution. However, we can curb the problem by dealing with the root cause of the issue.
To begin with, several problems are stemmed from the growing number of population in the cities. First of all, it increases youth unemployment, which by consequence impacts on the cities severely. The crimes rate of urban areas has been increased ever than before. Many gangs operate their anti-social activities in tandem with idle young adults. For instance, many studies reveal that most crimes are committed jobless youth population. Apart from that, many people have their own private vehicles, which have brought forth traffic congestion on the road, thus exhaust emissions also contribute to the global warming. On the top of that, the scarcity of decent accommodation is also an increasing problem that the cities must grapple with.
However, we can quell the issues by dealing with the root cause. If we delve deeply into this phenomenon, we will see that the uneven urbanization is the root cause of overpopulation. The facilities for example, education, employment, health care, basic infrastructure etc. have only been concentrated to the urban areas. The basic amenities such as water supply, 24 hours electricity, and good roads still seem to be a part of dream in many rural areas across the globe. As a result of this, people are migrating to the big cities in the hope of a better life.
To recapitulate, people are moving to the cities, which in turn causes myriad of problems such as, youth unemployment, crimes, pollutions, indecent housing, and so forth. The root cause of these overcrowded cities is the urbanization. In the case, rural development would stem the flood of population in the cities.
Idea Generation for this essay:
Main topic of the Essay: Identify serious problems that are caused by the Overpopulation of urban areas. Also suggest ways that governments and individuals can tackle these problems.
Serious problems that are caused by the overpopulation of urban areas:
- Environment pollution cased by the over population in urban areas is perhaps the greatest problems.
- Increasing crime rates, unemployment increases and quality of living standards decreases due to the increasing number of population in city areas.
- Traffic congestion is another negative impact that overpopulation causes in city areas.
- Increasing price due to inflation makes the poor and middle class suffer a lot.
Ways to tackle this problems:
- Since overpopulation is the root cause for the increasing pollution in city areas, government should take initiatives to decentralization in order to reduce the pollution. Strict rules should be taken in to consideration to reduce the water, noise and air pollution.
- Law enforcing organizations should be empowered by more manpower and necessary funds so that they can work according to the necessity.
- Strict rules should be imposed to own private vehicles to tackle the traffic congestion. Public transportation facilities should be enhances as well.
- Market price of daily commodities should be strictly regulated by the governing bodies and government.