IELTS Writing Task 2 with sample answer.
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Nowadays, local shops have been replaced by large supermarkets. Do you think its advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Write at least 250 words.
Sample Answer :
In this day and age, corner shops are being disappeared by the mushroom growth of supermarkets. These grand supermarkets provide consumers with a wide variety of commodities and services under a single roof. In contrast, it possesses a real threat to the small retail shops. In the instance, I am of the honest opinion that the advantage of these supermarkets does not outweigh the disadvantage, but rather its disadvantage outweighs its advantage.
To begin with, supermarket offers a large, diverse selection and competitive prices. The supermarkets, usually, provide everything from branded grocery items to fresh, locally grown vegetables and fruits. Consumers can choose from diverse products tailored for unique need. Not only do supermarkets offer a wide range of commodities, but also it serves quality products and services. For example, meat is sealed in packets, vegetables and fruits are prewashed, frozen or prepacked, biscuits are wrapped in cellophane. Another key point to remember is that there is fierce competition between supermarket chains which allow consumers to get the products at a cheaper price.
The other side of the coin, hypermarket adversely affects the communities. First of all, it leads to corner shops closing. Every day, the local greengrocers, bakeries, butchers, and fishmongers are being shut down. Which by consequence causes unemployment for people. Not only do these hypermarkets shrink the business possibility for local people, but also there is a lack of choice for locals buying groceries. Secondly, consumers are often duped into believing deceptive discount pricing techniques. To give an illustration of what I mean, let’s look at the case of supermarkets’ pricing policy. They push down prices for some commodities, while inflating the prices for other items. That is to say that these supermarkets give with one hand and take with the other. To cap it all, the hypermarket takes money out of the local communities. For instance, a recent study reveals that the half of the turnover of an independent local retailer goes back to the local community, while just 5% of the turnover of a hypermarket does.
To wrap up, supermarkets offer convenient shopping experience, while having negative aspects. The negative impacts ripple through the community. All things considered, it seems reasonable to assume that its advantages do not outweigh its disadvantages.
Idea Generation for this essay:
Main topic of the Essay: Many Local shops have been replaced by large supermarkets these days. Does this trend has more advantages or more disadvanatges?
- Large supermarkets offer better shopping experiences and better product quality.
- Local shops often are the reasons for over crowd on the streets and creates traffic congestion in many cities.
- Products sold in local shops often lack the quality.
- Large supermarket has better monitoring systems and security.
- The large supermarkets have better parking facilities, offer variety of goods under on roof and have additional facilities.
- It offers better employment facilities for local people.
- Large supermarkets often leads to corner shops closing that makes the small shop owners go our of business.
- They often raise the price of daily commodities that affects the low and middle income class people.
- They are notorious for monopoly in business and overpricing.