A cover letter, at its simplest, is a personal letter to a potential employer. The letter is composed so as to convince the reader that it would be in his best interest to hire you or, more specifically, to at least get you an interview. The letter is an essential document required in your job hunting because it introduces you to the potential employers while demonstrating why you are worthwhile and how you fit in to the corporation.
- Mention the source of vacancy announcement.
- State the position you are applying for.
- State why you are especially qualified for the position.
- Mention your previous positions most relevant to the present opportunity and focus on any special competences that make you a good fit for the position.
- Discuss with details particular achievements you have had that correlated directly with the position which you applying for.
- End with an expression of appreciation or a forward-looking statement and ask for an interview
|Attached||As you will notice on the attached CV, I graduated in English literature.|
|Available||I would be available for interview from next week.|
|Consider||I thank you for taking the time to consider my resume.|
|Course||During the course of my career, I have honed several skills crucial for the job.|
|Document||I am enclosing necessary documents for your review.|
|Draft||Will you please|
|Employed||I am currently employed by a Market Research Company as a Data Analyst.|
|Enclosed||Enclosed is a letter of recommendation.|
|Experience||At my previous jobs, I gained considerable experience working on the market research, so I am quite familiar with the market trend.|
|Expertise||The main area of my expertise is team collaboration/market research/ managing projects.|
|Fluent||I am completely fluent in English.|
|Great||I have a great deal of experience in marketing/sales/web development.|
|Hesitate||Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further information.|
|Highly||I am a highly motivated self-starter.|
|Instilled||This experience instilled me with complete confidence in professional ability.|
|Illustrate||As the enclosed CV illustrates, I have extensive teaching experience that would beneficial to this position.|
|Inquire/enquire||I am writing to inquire/enquire about the possibility of employment with your company.|
|Intrigued||I was intrigued with the ad seeking someone experienced with|
|Pressure||I work well under pressure and love working in a team.|
|Pursue||I am keen to pursue a career in teaching.|
|Requirements||I believe my qualifications would match your requirements.|
Common Expressions for Cover Letters:
|Accept this letter…||Please accept this letter as my application for the position of Lecturer.|
|Apply for the post of…||I wish to apply for the post of Sales Executive which you advertised in the Daily Star on January 3, 2016.|
|Apply for the position of…||I would like to apply for the position of Data Analyst.|
|In applying for the advertised position, as…||I have pleasure in applying for the advertised position, as Marketing Manager.|
|In response to your advertisement posted on…||I am writing in response to your advertisement posted on 3 December, 2015 in the Sunday Times.|
|Noticed with interest…||I noticed with interest your advertisement for the position of Research Assistant.|
|Referred to you…||I was referred to you by Mr. Adam Smith, who informed me of a position of a receptionist.|
|Refer to your advertisement in…dated…||I refer to your advertisement in the Morning Mirror dated January 7, 2016.|
|Challenging position for…||It is a challenging position for which I believe I am well qualified.|
|Combination of my education and experiences…||I believe the combination of my education and experiences have prepared me a good candidate for this position.|
|Educational background and abilities…||I believe that my educational background and abilities would be an excellent match for the managerial position.|
|Interest in…||I have lively interest in the sales division and would appreciate the opportunity to work with you.|
|I believe this is a position where…||I believe this is a position where my passion for this company will grow because of|
|Keen interest in this position stems from…||My keen interest in this position stems primarily from personal conviction that my educational background and skills may thrive the company like you.|
|My goal is to find an opportunity…||My goal is to find an opportunity that will allow me for personal and professional growth, where I can use my education, sales, and customer service competence.|
|Professional skills appear…||My professional skills appear to be well suited to your company’s requirements.|
|Represents an opportunity to…||This position represents a tremendous opportunity to continue my career path with an organization that will utilize my experience and skills.|
|Suited to the position because…||I would be well suited to the position because I have had years of experience in marketing field.|
|I am an experienced user of…||I am an experienced user of computer networking and security.|
|I have an excellent command of…||I have an excellent command of economic theory.|
|I have a working knowledge of||I have a working knowledge of Visual Basic.|
|I have… years’ experience of working…||I have 10 years’ experience of working as web developer.|
|I believe I possess the right combination of…and…||I believe I possess the right combination of skills and experience you are looking for.|
|My native language is…, but I can also speak…||My native language is Vietnamese, but I can also speak English very well.|
|My interest and knowledge in this area was further enhanced by…||My interest and knowledge in this area was further enhanced by working as Data Analyst.|
|Analytical skills||I have a range of analytical skills, for example ability to work with a large quantities of statistical data and convert it into an apprehensive result, ability to identify efficient way to address a variety of tasks and accomplish them in a time efficient manner, have a “can do” attitude at discovering problems and comprehend situations that can compound them, can track record of collecting and analyzing information and implementing actions with a view to meet goals, and so on.|
|Good interpersonal skills||My good interpersonal skills enable me to manage projects and resources accurately and utilize the team members to give their maximum.|
|Negotiation skills||I have an excellent negotiation skills. To wit, I can do business deal with other companies effectively.|
|Presentation skills||I am quite successful in presenting our products and services to our potential clients. My presentation skill is an added benefit along with my other experiences and expertise.|
|I am available for interview…||I am available for interview at any time next week.|
|I am eager to talk with you about…||I am eager to talk with you about the contribution I could make to your company/firm.|
|I am highly motivated and look forward to…||I am highly motivated and look forward to bring innovation in every project I work on.|
|I am very much excited to learn more about…||I am very much excited to learn more about this opportunity and share how I will be a great fit for your company.|
|I can provide reference from…if required.||I can provide reference from my ex-employers if required.|
|I see this position…||I see this position as an excellent opportunity for my career growth as well as my ability to serve with my efficiency.|
|I look forward to…||I look forward to our meeting/ to meeting with you to discuss the ways my skills may best serve your company.|
|I look forward with…||I look forward with enthusiasm to an opportunity for an interview.|
|I would appreciate the chance to meet with you to discuss…||I would appreciate the chance to meet with you to discuss how I could be a vital part of your company.|
|I would welcome the opportunity to discuss…||I would welcome the opportunity to discuss further details of the position with you personally.|
|If you are interested, please contact me at…||If you are interested, please contact me at 088 3467 873.|
|Thank you for…||Thank you for your time and consideration.|
|Thankingyou…||Thanking you most sincerely for your time and consideration.|
Opening Statements to hook the reader:
- I will receive my master degree in business administration from the University of Columbia this summer and would like to bring my solid academic background and strong competences to your company. Because of the outstanding reputation of your firm, I would welcome an opportunity to enhance the organization’s success in a capacity as marketing executive.
- As my graduate work at the University of Sydney is close to completion, I would like to bring my analytical ability, computation, problem-solving skills to a company like yours. I was most impressed by the Warner Brothers Limited during your on-campus presentation, and I am interested in teaming up with you organization as a marketing consultant.
- My extensive qualifications in sales, communications, market analysis, and customer service, coupled with my strong MBA- level academic background, will enable me to make a valuable contribution in a sales manager capacity with your company.
- Having just earned an MBA degree from SouthEast University, I wish to activate my enhanced administrative skills in the human resource manager position you have currently available.
- I am writing to enquire about openings at your company. My academic background and relevant experience offer me an outstanding opportunity to make a positive contribution to Square Pharmaceuticals, Oracle Drug International, and Zenith Pharma Limited. I possess the unique combination of both pharmacy and business administration. If you review my CV, you will find my educational background and professional experience commensurate with a production manager at your pharmaceutical company.
- Please accept this letter and enclosed CV as application for the coach position at the Juniour Football Academy listed on the job search portal, www.ukjobs.com. For the past five years, I have been a coach in Elite Football Academy, Birmingham. Elite Football Academy is one of the celebrated institutions in United Kingdom.
Attention-grabbing Closing Statements:
- Accustomed to doing well with limited resources, I can help your company ride out the recession. After a meeting with me and judging my ability and competence to run a tight ship that sails upright, you may realize you cannot afford not to hire me.
- I am confident that my joining your organization’s team would be mutually beneficial, yet I feel these pages can convey merely a limited sense of my skills and qualifications. I will contact you in two weeks to discuss the possibility of setting up a meeting to further discuss my credentials.
- I am confident that my academic background, professional knowledge, working experience, motivation and the company ability will enable me to perform effectively for you. I am eager to meet in person to discuss on how I can contribute to achieve your organization’s goal. I appreciate your time and consideration.
- I am happy with my job and am proven to be a high performer by my current employer. But I do not see a way to advancement in the foreseeable future. Thereby, I am contacting you about future openings in the marketing field at Market Access Company Limited.
- I am long on enthusiasm and effort, although short on experience.
- I am particularly well-qualified for the position of Data Analyst. I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss how I could be a vital part of your firm.
- I am confident that your needs and my qualifications are an excellent fit, and it would be in both our best interest to meet. I can make myself available for an appointment at your earliest convenience, and I will contact you next week to set up an appointment to meet. Please do not hesitate to call me at 088 236 5649 7603 if you have any questions.
- I want to mix my passion into you mission. I would like to have an opportunity to meet you personally to demonstrate the fit between my talents and your business goal. You render the coffee, I will bring my performance portfolio. Thank you for your consideration.
- At my previous position on the Square Chemicals Limited, within one year I received appraisal for playing a key role in increasing sales leads up to 30%.
- If our meeting confirms my understanding of your open position for lecturer, I am confident that with my competences in teaching, I can make an immediate and valuable contribution to your college.
- If, after reviewing my CV, you agree that I am the person you need, I would appreciate the opportunity to meet you personally in order to discuss how I could contribute to your company’s goal. I will phone you in a week to make an appointment. Thank for your time and consideration.
- I look forward with enthusiasm to an opportunity for an interview so as to discuss what I can do for you company. I will contact you coming week to set up an appointment to meet. Should you wish to reach before then, please call me at 088 456 3487 4689. Thanking you most sincerely for your time and consideration.
- My education and professional background make me an invaluable asset to Kurt Smith, and I am ready to contribute to your company. I will contact you next week to arrange a meeting and discuss how my background would best match your requirements. If you have further questions in the meantime, please contact me at email@example.com.
Sample Cover Letter Format:
First paragraph: State why you are interested in the job.
Second and third paragraphs: discuss why you stand out of the crowd (personal traits, relevant and professional experience, achievements, and competences).
Closing paragraph: wish for an interview. Give your contact information, including your phone number and email address and thank you the recipient for his or her consideration.
Example Question and Model Answer:
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You are looking for a part-time job at a football club. Write a letter to the manager of the football club. In your letter:
- introduce yourself.
- explain what experience and special skills you have.
- tell him/her when you think you could start
You should write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any address.
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am Stephen Coombs and am very excited about a part-time football coach position now available with Bartley Green Football Club. I would be so proud to be a part of the team.
I have been a school Football Coach for over 12 years, most recently at Featherstone School, Birmingham where I brought the team Division ııı Championship for three years running. However, I have the knowledge of the technical side of football, plays, and sports psychology in spades. Moreover, I have a vast experience needed to plan and implement training sessions, organize practice, and to give pre-game and half-time motivational speeches.
Furthermore, I have the competence to assign the players to the position where they would be most effective, and to review the footage to look for the ways to develop the game. In addition, I can help guide the players and inspire them to pursue a career as a professional player and I always maintain high academic standards for the players as well.
It would be appreciated if you give me the opportunity as a part-time football coach at your club. I hope I can improve our region level players’ bench strength to our nation team. Anyway, I can start on 1 November, 2015.
I look forward to meeting with you.