IELTS Writing Task 2 with sample answer.
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.
Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Idea Generation for this essay:
In agreement with the given statement:
- Learning a foreign language at primary level gives the children better chance to learn about a new culture.
- In primary level student can learn new things very quickly and that has a lasting impression.
- Second language in many countries is very important and the earlier a student can learn it the better it is for their future growth.
- At primary level, students show more enthusiasm to learn a new language than they do in later stages.
- Learning a second language at the primary education level is fun and students learn the language more accurately.
- This trend boosts up the brain and enhance the performance of a student.
In disagreement with the given statement:
- Learning a new language at secondary level is far better than learning it at primary level. In secondary level a student’s maturity grows and s/he can learn the language more accurately.
- Being capable of using the language in the secondary education level is something students do more accurately.
- Learning a second language in the primary level often gives extra burden to the student and secondary level is the ideal time for that.
- In secondary level students can learn more about the language than what have been taught in the classroom.
Babies, toddlers and preschoolers are being enrolled in the foreign language classes by a growing number of parents and the numbers are expected to rise. That means parents now want to be more proactive in jump-starting second language education for their children. At this point, many educators and linguists contend that children will be more beneficial from second language acquisition in elementary school rather than the high school level. As far as I believe that the earlier a child is introduced to a second language, the greater the chances are that the child will become truly proficient in the language. One thing should be mentioned here that speaking a foreign language boosts cognitive, memory and listening skills.
Linguists suggest that kids should start to learn a second language from an early stage; the earlier, the better. Every child is born with the ability to acquire any language in the world. That is to say that language acquisition is an innate capacity of human being. Caryn Antonini, the creator of Early Lingo (earlylingo.com), expounds that “the older the child gets, certain windows close in terms of language acquisition, but so long as the child learns the language before puberty [fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][age 12 or 13], the child should be able to speak with a native accent”.
Again, there are many cognitive benefits of learning a foreign language at an early age. Children who learn a second language at an early age show higher performance in overall basic skills in primary school. They also exhibit better problem-solving skills, enhanced spatial relations, and heightened creativity. According to College Entrance Examination Board, candidates who learn a second language score higher on SATs. So, learning a foreign language early on boosts flexible thinking and communication skills, helping children consider issues from more than one perspective.
To sum up, some parents concern that beginning their children on a foreign language will interfere with the developing mother tongue skills, the opposite is actually true. Learning a second language at a young age is the right thing to do and it also enhances overall essential competence which provides a competitive advantage in the later part of life. Certainly, the benefits of studying a second language at an elementary level go beyond the disadvantages.[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]