IELTS Writing Task 2 with sample answer.
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
In some countries the average weight of people is increasing and their level of health and fitness is decreasing.
What do you think are the causes of these problems and what measures could be taken to solve them?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
You should write at least 250 words.
Idea Generation for this essay:
- People’s dependency on fast food items is the main reason why many people are overweight nowadays.
- People are leading busy lives and they have little time for physical exercise and to cook homemade foods.
- The number of play grounds and parks has reduced and people are choosing to stay at home rather than participating in outdoor activities.
- Parents seems like not giving too much emphasize on choosing healthy and natural foods, fruits and vegetable for their children. The food habits among children and the lack of attention from their parents regarding healthy foods are two other reasons children are suffering from obesity.
- Many children are suffering from obesity from their birth and the genetic obesity is a dangerous issue.
- The level of toxic and environment pollution are sometimes attributed to the overweight of people.
- Technological advancement have facilitates people to do more jobs with the help of technology that people used to do manually.
- People no longer walks or use bicycle to reach their destination. They prefer cars and this is also a reason for the lack of physical exercise.
- Genetically modified foods and over use of chemicals in fruit and vegetable cultivation has decreased the natural quality of such fruits. This also contributes to obesity.
- Some of the medicines for depression curing contribute to obesity as their side effects. People take anti-depressing pills more than ever before and this is another reason we see more overweight people now than the past decades.
Measures that could be taken to tackle the overweight issue:
- People should be aware about their diet and lifestyle.
- School should teach children about the necessity of healthy lifestyle and balanced diet.
- Overuse of chemicals and Genetically Modified foods should be restricted.
- Proper research should be done on the medicines that are often accused to contribute to obesity.
- People should do more outdoor activities that spending time in front of TV screens.
- Children should be encouraged to play outside with the adults instead of playing video games inside the house.
- More vegetables and fruits should be included in diet and foods that contain more fat should be omitted from the food list.
- People should avoid fast food items totally and should eat more home-made nutritious foods.
Model Answer :
Almost a third of the world is now fat, and no country has been able to curb obesity, according to new global analysis. In this essay, I am going to unveil some contributing factors result in this problem as well as corresponding remedies which could be taken to cure this issue.
Many studies have shown that lack of access to quality food contributes to obesity. Take America as an example is here. Two-third of U.S. adults is now overweight and one-third are obese, making normal-sized people actual minority. People, in poor neighborhood of America, are confined to unhealthy food environment. Residents of these areas are surrounded by junk food heavens like McDonald, KFC, Subway, and so forth. People have no option but eat rich food. Almost every American is struggling every day navigating the food system in which everything seems to make them overweight and obese.
Now, in order to grapple with the obesity issue, government and individuals should take some measures. The government ought to subsidise fruits and vegetables and should impose tax on junk foods so that people can afford healthy foods and are discouraged to eat unhealthy foods. In addition, the tax money should be spent on raising the awareness of the hazardous effects of junk foods. Likewise, individuals should change their food habit. They ought to cook and grill more frequently at home with healthy food items. For example, many studies show that people are less likely obese with home-made meals than those who eat junk foods of restaurants. So, changing the current food habit will curb the obesity and ameliorate the level of health and fitness.
All in all, I want to say that if we do not consider this as really serious urgent national priority, we are all of us individually and as nation going to pay really serious price. What type of nation can live without a workforce that is healthy? So, what the obese or the obesity is doing to the nation is crippling the workforce, beyond that crippling the families, crippling the individual, and the community. Therefore, the government and individuals should make efforts in tandem so that obesity could be conquered entirely.