IELTS Writing Task 2 with sample answer.
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Some people say that sports should not be encouraged in schools because they cause competition rather than cooperation among students.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience or knowledge.
You should write at least 250 words.
Sample Answer :
Sports, in common parlance, are an activity involving physical exertion and competence in which an individual or team competes against another for entertainment. Although sports bring forth several benefits associated with the form of competition, some people contend that its disadvantages outweigh its advantages when it comes to the point whether sports should be encourage in schools. They believe that sports are merely a competition that damages cooperation among students. In the case, as far as I am concerned that I completely agree with the notion.
To commence with, sports are very essential for both the physical and mental health of an individual. It contributes to students’ physical health significantly. It strengthens the lungs, bones, and heart above all. Apart from that, it reduces blood sugar level, controls weight, and helps veins and arteries clear. In tandem, sports enhance emotional well-being of the students. Many studies reveal that it may play a therapeutic role in addressing a number of psychological disorders such as, depression, anxiety, psychological distress, emotional disturbance, and so on.
However, in reality, sports cause stiff competition among the students. Which by consequence harms camaraderie among students. Many a time, students start criticizing one another. On the top of that, bullying and quarrelling may stem from competition. A case in point was an inter-school football tournament of my school days. The final match was marred due to a quarrel broke out between the players that rippled through the supporters as well. In addition to this, in the sports, the focus often shifts from sport spirit to winning only. Which by consequence may turn into stress and anxiety-filled job for the students. The mounting pressure to perform well can make them feel bad and they may lose their confidence.
To wrap up, ideally, sports can encourage cooperation, but it, in reality, harms the camaraderie among the students. All things considered, it seems reasonable to assume that schools should not promote sports, since schools are the place where good attitudes should be shaped, not the one that can cause negative impact on the students.
Idea Generation for this essay:
Main topic of the Essay: Sports should not be encouraged in schools because they cause competition rather than cooperation among students.
Reason for Agreement with this view point:
- School is the place where good human qualities should be nurtured not the one that could create negative mentality among students.
- Sports without competition has no appeal and that’s why sports in academic area would definitely.
- Students become better human when they learn to share, not fight each other.
Reason for Disagreement with this view point:
- Sports are very essential for physical and mental health of students. That’s why it should be encouraged as much as possible in school.
- Many students have great potential to become successful sports person in future and that’s why school authority should make sports a part of academic activities.
- Sports not only teach students to compete each other. Rather it is a great way to learn to cooperate and work as a team.
- Discipline, team work, stamina, planning etc are required to participate in sports and those are valuable lessons for students.
- Sports create a special bonding among participants and that’s something important for students, especially in their early ages.