One of the IELTS essay types is whether you agree or disagree with a given statement. In this case you should clearly state your position at the end of the introduction. Do not write only in agreement or disagreement. Rather write why many people would agree in case you are disagreeing or the vice versa. But present more reasons and examples in your support. For instance, if you are agreeing with a statement, give 2-3 reasons why many people might disagree with it. Then give 3-4 convincing and more prominent reasons and examples why you are agreeing with the given statement.
Some of the essential phrases for agreeing with a statement:
Statement: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
A university education is necessary for success in this world.
The following phrases could be used to intensify opinions when you agree with a statement:
- There is no doubt that a university education is essential for success in this world.
- One cannot deny that a university education is crucial for success in this world.
- It is impossible to argue against the fact that a university education is vital for success in this world.
- Nothing could be closer to the truth than this notion that a university education is important for success in this world.
- It cannot be denied that…..
- It is universally accepted that….
Likewise, with the following phrases, you can disagree with a statement. You can put forth opinions as belonging to someone else, when likely to hide your own opinion.
- In many circles, it is believed that a university education is important for success in this world, while other people are of the opinion that it has little contribution to success in this world.
- Some people think/ claim/ feel/ contend/ argue that a university education is important for success in this world.
Yet other people put forward the view that it has mere importance for success in this world.
To avoid overgeneralization you can give reasons:
- Since the empirical evidences alter the notion.
- As it presents the proof that one has handy knowledge about workplace.
- Because university teaches all the theories that is utmost important to achieve a lucrative managerial position in the corporate world.