IELTS Writing Task 2 with sample answer.
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Being a celebrity – such as a famous film star or sports personality- brings problems as well as benefits. Do you think that being a celebrity brings more benefits or more problems?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Idea Generation for this essay:
- Celebrities are famous and lots of people know, respect even follow them. Psychologically this is a great achievement for a celebrity.
- They earn a lot more than the people in other professions. That’s why they enjoy better economic freedom.
- They have a better command and influence over mass people and that’s why their words get special attention.
- They can start a business or get engaged in similar profession and they have a better opportunity to do well.
- They can aware people about pressing issues as people would heed to their words.
- They get fames, money and luxury that most ordinary people can never have.
- Sometimes successful sports person, renowned actors, singers and other types of famous persons or celebrities can grab international attention through their performance or work.
- A great performance in an international event like winning an international sports event can bring whole nations together.
- They often bring success and reputation for the country they live in.
Disadvantages of being celebrity:
- The celebrities have to sacrifices their personal life and people and media often intrude in their personal life.
- They are often the target of scandals and that can ruin their personal life and relationship.
- To a certain extent their freedom is limited. They can’t go every places and do whatever they like an ordinary people as media and mass people would follow them wherever they go.
- Celebrities often face harsh behaviours and whimsical attitudes from their fans.
- Their life is not as easy as we think. They have competitors and they have to work hard to maintain their fame.
- It is not uncommon that many celebrities lead extravagant life that often leads to bad condition in the old ages when the earnings are limited.
- A poor performance can often lead to public wrath and that is pretty tough to hand for them.
- The luxury, fame and popularity often allure then to go astray and become drug addicted.
Almost every one of us dreams about being renowned and popular, like a famous superstar or sports figure. The general apprehension is that they have all a man should have in life. When they are on the red carpet they look like they do not have difficulties and their lives seem to fit perfect. It appears that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Everything has its price. The truth is that there are as many drawbacks or downsides of being a luminary as there are the number of advantages.
First of all, celebrities are comparatively affluent than the average Joe. A celebrity can earn a lot of money, which itself is a great boon. They can afford luxurious homes and cars, fancy gifts and gorgeous cloths, some feel fortunate enough to share their wealth with the less fortunate. A good example here is Madonna, the American pop icon. She founded Raising Malawi, a non-profit organization that supports community-based organizations that provide vulnerable children and caregivers with nutritious food, proper clothing, and formal education and so on. Secondly, many opportunities arise when a person becomes famous. Whatever they do in the film industry they get a bunch of opportunities, like an ambassador or spokesperson for brands. Take people like Genesis Rodriguez made her red carpet debut as a new ambassador for L’Oreal Paris USA at the recent 15th Annual Latin Grammy Awards in Las Vegas. In addition, many celebrities are becoming business tycoon after and while they have stardom. And last but not least, very often celebrities belong a position about which a lay man can never think of. Just think of Angelina Jolie, she has achieved a fame which an ordinary woman can never touch the boundary. Though, both belong to the same gender, the acceptance makes an obvious difference.
On the flip side, the celebrities have no privacy in the most cases. If Demi Moor and her beau go for a long drive, the whole world will about it. Lack of privacy is one of the biggest handicaps of being a celebrity. Similarly, they are being judged constantly on their personality, habit and a lot more. Reading rude, insulting, derogatory, nasty and lies about one’s own self is a part and parcel of a famous film star’s daily routine. Imagine how embarrassing it would be if a tabloid published your hidden affair. Furthermore, a famous person cannot do things that an ordinary person can easily. They live in their secluded world. Even they cannot go for shopping to the super market, take a walk, chilling with friends at the park or having dinner with family at the local restaurant.
In brief, being famous has both bad and good sides. Despite of negative sides, I firmly believe that fame and fortune are the matchless factors in the life of a celebrity. Being a celebrity is endowed with more advantages compared to its difficulties.